Watercolor on Fabric

I am currently experimenting with several different methods of printing and painting on fabric. I love working with watercolor so I thought it would be fun to try and capture a "watercolor look" with screen printing ink. As most experiments go....the result was not exactly what I expected. 

The color palette came from a selection of pearl cotton threads that I am using on a different project. I mixed the colors that I wanted and prepared the fabric by saturating it with water. I used foam brushes to apply the ink and added water to keep the ink the right consistency. I have been studying fingerprint patterns (a story for another day)  so I used that theme for my design inspiration.  

The painting process started by painting thick lines and then added dots and smaller vertical lines. 

The painting process started by painting thick lines and then added dots and smaller vertical lines. 

Wet on wet painting process 

Wet on wet painting process 

It took the fabric a long time to dry because I did not want to hang it up and have the ink run. I used a hair dryer to speed up the process because.....well.....I am very impatient!  In the end, the colors faded as they dried. That was disappointing but I was able to capture an image to manipulate on my computer. 

Manipulated image 1  (looks like a Chinese dragon face)

Manipulated image 1  (looks like a Chinese dragon face)

Manipulated image 2  (this has the possibility to be a beautiful textile design with more work) 

Manipulated image 2  (this has the possibility to be a beautiful textile design with more work) 

As I mentioned before, this was not the outcome I was expecting. You win some....you lose some....but you have to keep experimenting to discover something new!