We recently completed an extensive remodel of our home and if any of you have been through this process, you will understand that it takes a while to recover from the "trauma" even when the project goes smoothly. We lived in a hotel for 3 months while our house was renovated and apparently three months is a short amount of time by industry standards for a project this size. But....we were on a tight deadline and anxious to get settled back into our home. We have been a transiant family for the past 8 years only coming home for a few weeks during the summers while we lived in China and then in Philadelphia. Deferred maintenance and design updates were over due but the leaky toilets, broken tiles, and furnace issues were the catalyst to get us moving down the remodel path. We took photos of the project as it was completed and I will share some of the before and afters with you over the next few months. I will also share some tips and lessons we learned along the way.
The renovation included the kitchen, several bathrooms, two fireplaces, and the floor surfaces. All of the old kitchen cabinets, bathroom fixtures, and carpeting were repurposed. Most of the items went to a family who was outfitting a cabin in northwest Washington. It was a win-win-win situation! A win for us, a win for them, and a win for the environment!
I have so many photos.....the question is where to begin? I think I will begin at the end. The front door was the last project to be completed and that seems like a good place to start.
Above are the before and after photos of the entry door renovation.
Here's how the project went......Let the demolition begin.....
The front door was removed just a few days into the house renovation and then boarded up for the remainder of the remodel. Our house looked like it had been condemned. The boards were removed daily to allow access to the house for construction. The new door and window were ordered and then we anxiously waited for delivery. And we waited....and we waited.....and we waited.
The original door was six feet tall with side lights. The new door is 8 feet tall with double doors and no side lights so some "adjustments" had to be made.
Finally the new door arrives!!!
Installing the door and building the new window.
The window casing is complete and the hardware is installed!
Exterior door update complete!
It seems like a simple project when shown in a few step by step photos but much thought and strategizing took place to get it to fit properly. Ah....yes....time does lessen the trauma of renovation projects.
Thank you for stopping in to read the blog! I know there are many other things you could be doing!
Hugs to you,